We are a congregation of the Southwestern Pennsylvania Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA).

Located in Carnegie, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh, we’re just about 10 minutes southwest of Pittsburgh’s beautiful downtown via the Parkway West (I-376 West).

The congregation was founded in 1882, and has faithfully served the Lord in our hometown for 136 years.

Our beautiful building was dedicated in 1929, and our education building was added in 1961.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or comments.

+  +  +

Our Mission Statement

Confident in the Good News of Jesus Christ, Son of God,
We of Saint John Evangelical Lutheran Church:

+ Proclaim this Gospel boldly
in Word and Sacrament according to the confessions of the Lutheran Church
and its traditions of Theology and Liturgy;

+ Model a Community of love and stability
in which the Holy Spirit gives life to this gospel today, and within coming generations;

+ Invite and welcome
our neighbors to join with us in worship, learning, witness, and service as we joyously proclaim our Risen Savior;

+ Accept the challenge
to be transformed into a new people of God as we minister in the diverse and changing population in our community.

+  +  +

Our History

“On February 26, 1882, there appeared by invitation Pastor P. M. Reidenbach of Pittsburgh who held divine service.”… 

“After the service we organized a German Evangelical Lutheran Church on the basis of the presented constitution. After this was done we requested Pastor Reidenbach to hold a service every Sunday afternoon, which he promised to do. Whereupon the meeting was closed in order—to meet again in fourteen days in order to undertake the election of the church council.”
A translation of the original minutes of our Church, written in German.

Saint John has a rich history. When the church was founded in February of 1882, worship services were held in German. time progressed, worship services in English were added to the German schedule. In the early 1900’s, the German worship services were dropped.

The parish has worshipped in just two buildings. Our first building, bought in a sheriff sale, still stands on Highland Avenue near the Carnegie Busway Station. It was sold and is now used as a warehouse.

The congregation moved to its present building in 1929. The Christian Education building was added in 1961. In 1978, the church and education buildings suffered major damage from a fire. In 2004, the church was spared from the remnants of Hurricane Ivan. Flood waters from that storm devastated much of Carnegie and Southwestern Pennsylvania. We were one of the few buildings located just outside of the flooded area of the borough, and we became a relief center during the recovery efforts.

The church has been served by nine pastors and one assistant pastor in our first 136 years. The first two pastors—The Rev. E. F. A. Dittmer and The Rev. Dr. L. O. Burry—served our church for 75 of those years! In addition, there have been eight members of Saint John who have entered the ministry, known as “Sons of the Congregation.”

Saint John can claim some very prominent people as former members of the parish, including Hall-of Fame baseball star Honus Wagner, and former Republican presidential candidate Congressman Dr. Ron Paul (R-Tx).